Sunday 24 February 2008


23rd February 2008 + 6 = 24 miles

Time to go out again. Early morning walk this time. I’ve suggested an evening walk route from the train station to the top of Crooksbury Hill and back, it’s about 6 miles but it occurs to me that having suggested this I should really check how do-able it is….

Get up and out by 8 o’clock to try to avoid taking the whole day! It’s a lovely morning, not too cold for February and go out in t-shirt and fleece. I only meet five other people while out but get to Crooksbury Hill in 45 minutes. 5 minutes to climb and am rewarded with great views over the surrounding countryside. There’s a pillar at the top with a brass plate that shows distances to local and far landmarks (Farnham Castle, Windsor Castle, St Paul’s Cathedral - you know the sort of thing….) but the orientation of it throws me out completely - Farnham Castle seems to be the wrong direction but I suspect that they’re probably right and I’m just disorientated. Five minute rest and then a walk back. Overall, it takes me 1 hr 50 minutes to complete from door-to-door so it seems to be a good length for an evening walk. My only concern is the Crooksbury Road section which is pretty hairy as there is no pavement or verge and the cars tend to fly down it. Hopefully it won’t be too busy at night and having all the torches will be a good thing!

In the afternoon we go down to Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth and I buy my new boots, over trousers, back-pack, jacket and whistle from Tog 24.….